There are a number of different ways to perform a singular phone unlock using unlock codes. Depending on where you live, the first thing to determine is whether your phone is un-lockable. In Europe, the majority of phones are GSM and so you can perform a GSM unlock, this basically means it works via a SIM card; in the USA, some phones are CDMA based and are un-lockable. For reference, in the US, T-Mobile and AT&T use GSM but Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.
In order to perform a GSM unlock, there are a number of options you can use. Firstly, it will depend on the type of handset that you have, standard phones are easier to unlock than smartphones.
Unlocking smartphones isn’t quite as straightforward as the more traditional handsets as the software they use is more complex. For iPhone’s, locks are placed on the phone in order to prevent people from installing unauthorised apps.
However, that’s not to say that it can’t be done, it’s just done with software, rather than gsm unlock phone codes. This process is referred to as a ‘Jailbreak’ as it frees the phone up so that you can do more with it. The only problem with jailbreaking is that it can potentially damage your phone due to the sensitive nature of the installed software, for this reason, it’s recommended that you carry out a little research and read user reviews more choosing an unlock provider.
So let’s make that your number one:
1. Read and research, ask around and visit unlock forums such as GSM Forum, see what others are saying and ask around for the best services.
2. Visit sites that have been recommended and check that they deal with your model and can provide GSM unlock phone codes. Avoid those that ask you to call premium rate numbers to retrieve your code as these are likely to cost much more than services that take debit cards/Paypal.
3. Locate your phone’s IMEI number, this is usually found under the battery or can be displayed on-screen by typing *#06# into the handset from the home screen.
4. On the supplier website, choose your handset make and model, your carrier and country, type in the IMEI number and pay the service provider.
5. You will be sent a singular phone unlock code along with instructions for use and it really is that simple! For smartphones, this may involve downloading software and for iPhones, connecting to iTunes first.
In some cases, you won’t be able to obtain a GSM unlock code online, as some phones require a dongle to be attached in order to generate a GSM unlock code or unlock via flashing the software. If this is the case, then it’s recommended that you take your handset to an independent mobile store who provide GSM unlock services, rather than phone your carrier.